Someone with a healthy second chakra will usually be energetic and eager for life; enjoy their sexuality without having it rule them; have a form of creative expression; enjoy art, beauty, and sensory experience; be able to experience joy; experience their emotions without (generally) being overwhelmed by them; be able to be spontaneous and play; be open to change; and have a healthy lower back, reproductive system, and urinary system.
Clearing, balancing, and opening your sacral chakra can help you regain your joie de vivre. It’ll get your life juices and creative juices flowing, and that makes your life–juicier!
(For anyone who is unsure of where exactly the sacral (or second) chakra energy center is on our bodies…it, right where you’d guess it to be. It’s located at the lower abdomen/lower back, about three inches below the navel. Its keywords are “life energy” and “creativity.” It relates to vitality, sexual/erotic health and fulfillment, ease with change, creativity, generativity, grace, feeling, fluidity, pleasure, sensation, and emotional balance. Its associated color is orange, and its associated element is water.
When in balance or open properly, your feelings flow freely and you can express yourself without any problems! You have great self confidence, you know your strengths and can handle anything that life throws at you. You have no problems with your sexuality, and are very much open to intimacy (you certainly don’t shy away from it!). You have a Great Passion for Life and want to live it to it’s fullest, experiencing every day as a gift.
Over-Active Sacral Chakra:
If you have an over-active sacral chakra you may tend to be over emotional, creating drama over people or events that happen in your life. You’ll probably have an unhealthy emotional attachment to people and will become out-of-sorts if someone doesn’t show up on time or if your plans don’t work out. Sexual addiction may be a problem if you are in a relationship or not taking proper caution with your partner(s). Mental, emotional or physical tension of muscles will be another sign that things aren’t in balance.
Under-Active Sacral Chakra:
If your Svandisthana(sanskit name) is under active you may experience a fear of pleasure and deny yourself from the things that can make you feel good! (And you’ll make up any excuse not to have something you really want). You will probably lack creativity, feel sluggish, lazy or suffer from chronic fatigue disorder and have a weak sex drive. “Fitting in” with people may rule your daily interactions and you will find it hard to be your true or authentic self. You’ll find that trying to stand out requires the necessary energy that comes from a properly functioning naval chakra. You can’t manifest what you desire because your thoughts and emotions tend to lean towards negativity.
Physical Symptoms of an Imbalance: An unbalanced in this chakra may manifest as aches or pains in the lower abdomen with irregular menstration cycles or bladder, urinary and kidney infections. More serious conditions are infertility, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, ectopic pregnancy, pre-menstral syndrome, testicular or prostate disease.
5 Ways to Clear, Open, and Balance Your Sacral Chakra
If you feel you would benefit from sacral chakra healing, there are many practical, every-day things that you can do. Here are five ideas:
- Spend time in moonlight and near open water (Obviously, open water in moonlight is doubly good!); allow yourself to feel a lovely sense of flow in your second chakra
- Surround yourself with beauty–art, flowers, music, color–whatever gives you that elevated feeling that beauty confers; give yourself a moment to savor it every time you encounter it
- Play, Pamper and Put Pleasure First–free up your schedule to make more time for spontaneity (and then do some fun things on the spur of the moment)
- Use scents and foods to simulate. Applying essential oils or a musk with, ylang ylang, or sandalwood; use them with a sense of ritual. Make foods that are decadent and pleasurable and then savour every last moment.
- Repeat an affirmation such as:
- I give myself permission to fully enjoy my sexuality.
- The universe is full of sweetness and beauty.
- My life is graceful and pleasurable.
- I allow my emotions to flow through me in a healthy way.
- Creating (fill in the blank) nourishes my spirit and brings me joy.
Sacral Chakra Yoga
Hip-opening yoga poses are a wonderful way to release tension and blockages in the Sacral Chakra. I’ve put together a yoga sequence specifically designed to open and release the sacral chakra and help increase sensation and energy into your libido.